Blue Water Baltimore advocates at the local, state, and federal level on important initiatives that are critical to protecting our streams and rivers, ensuring public health and safety, and improving quality of life for all Maryland residents.
Our legislative actions are focused on stormwater, trash, trees, and healthy communities. If you support a clean environment and strong, healthy communities, Blue Water Baltimore invites you to join our effort and reach out to your representatives.
The Maryland General Assembly session ended on Monday, April 8, and the environment fared well. Our friends at the Maryland League of Conservation Voters compile a comprehensive accounting of environmental wins and losses; you can learn more on their website. Listed below are the bills we have been tracking and supporting that would protect the health of our communities and waterways:
- HB 109 / SB 285 – Phasing out expanded polystyrene foam food to-go packaging statewide. PASSED! With your support, these bills passed both chambers of Maryland’s General Assembly on 3/12/2019 with a veto-proof majority. Maryland is the first state in the nation to pass this regulation!
- HB 134 – Requiring restaurants to only provide single use plastic straws to customers in restaurants upon request.
- HB 410 / SB 267 – Creating a Task Force to examine solutions to debris entering storm drains.
- HB 472 – Amending the Maryland Constitution to establish that every person has the right to a certain clean and healthy environment.
- HB 272 / SB 234 – To ensure that forest mitigation that is required under the Forest Conservation Act is done properly.
- HB 120 / SB 203 – Correcting the definition of the state goal of “no net loss of forest” under the Forest Conservation Act by accurately reflecting the current acreage of forested land in Maryland.
- HB 275 – Ban Chlorpyrifos, a highly toxic nerve agent pesticide known to cause brain damage in children.
We are deeply grateful to all our members, supporters, and community partners who write letters, make phone calls, attend rallies, and make donations to help support our efforts! Get involved by becoming a supporting member today!