Mission & History
Blue Water Baltimore’s mission is to restore the quality of Baltimore’s rivers, streams and harbor to foster a healthy environment,a strong economy, and thriving communities.
We work towards a future when our neighborhood streams are safe for fishing and swimming and our clean harbor is the pride of our city. To achieve our mission, we need the help of people like you who care about clean, healthy neighborhoods and waterways.
- We mobilize volunteers to monitor our streams for pollution, plant trees, and participate in trash clean-ups.
- We provide a helping hand to property owners who want to do their part to reduce polluted runoff from their properties.
- We advocate for stronger laws for clean water, both locally and state-wide.
- We run educational and community programs out of our headquarters, the Blue Water Baltimore Watershed Center.
- We are the home for the Baltimore Harbor WATERKEEPER, who patrols the harbor, takes your calls on the pollution hotline, and holds polluters accountable under the law.
- We run the Herring Run Nursery, selling native plants and providing landscaping and design services.
Blue Water Baltimore is a not-for-profit organization and your charitable donations are tax-deductible.
History of Blue Water Baltimore: Five Organizations Become One!
We began as five separate Baltimore organizations doing something about their neighborhood stream or water body. Although individually successful, we realized that to continue growing and be even more effective, we needed to work together toward our shared mission. On September 8, 2010, the Jones Falls Watershed Association, Herring Run Watershed Association, Gwynns Falls Watershed Association, Baltimore Harbor Watershed Association, and Baltimore Harbor WATERKEEPER legally merged.
The organizations that make up Blue Water Baltimore rely on and deeply appreciate the ongoing financial support of local donors. Our heartfelt gratitude goes out to the many individuals, corporations, foundations, government grants, and special events that enable us to do our work. Click here to learn more about our supporters.